EcoTech Marine: Easy-Ionizer
Lehigh University, 2003 - $8,380
Reef aquariums aim to create thriving ecosystems by growing and reproducing corals and invertebrates. To aid in that process the EcoTech Marine E-Team developed the Easy-Ionizer, a device that simplifies reef-keeping by using automation to create a stable marine environment.
In order to properly care for fish and other aquatic organisms contained within a reef aquarium, proper and stable water chemistry is required. Typical daily chores of maintaining a reef aquarium include topping off the tank with fresh water and supplementing calcium and alkalinity. The Easy-Ionizer automatically combines the multiple chores of freshwater top off and calcium and alkalinity supplementation, consolidating two otherwise expensive products into one package.
The E-Team included ten undergraduate students. Two faculty advisors with expertise in business economics and geo-environmental engineering supported the students along with several industry experts
Update: The EcoTech team has gone on to form a successful aquarium products company. Visit their website here.
- Inc.com names EcoTech Marine in its fastest-growing companies list (Sept 2010)
- Given the Entrepreneurial Achievement Award from the Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Northeastern Pennsylvania (April 2012)
- EcoTech's products are now sold in 450 stores and 35 distributors across the US. The company has developed two more propeller pumps and an LED light for reef aquariums. EcoTech generated $15M in revenue in 2011, has 42 full time staff and a 4,000 square foot work space.
- In-depth article on EcoTech from NCIIA's guide to entrepreneurship, Getting Started as an Entrepreneur
- About NCIIA
- Meet our grantees
- For students
- For faculty
- Specialty training programs
- Annual conference
- NCIIA in the news